Email: alec.sipple@myldsmail.net

Send a free letter anytime at www.dearelder.com
*delivered through the pouch system

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mom,                                                                                                             November 11, 2013

I feel so bad for not being able to respond quickly to you! I love you so much. I can’t even begin to explain it. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I need them all. It’s hard here, but I have faith and confidence that I can do this. I love my district! 3 Hermanas & 4 Elders. The Hermanas are Hermana Eye (Hermana Ojo), Hermana Muir, and Hermana Nielsen. Awesome girls. BYW, I got the package before I got your letter from Seattle and the one about Parker. Awesome comparison by the way. I’m must sitting here in my living room, crying from your letters haha. Oh I love you. So much.

I believe my Spanish is coming along well! I’m just trying to work hard and let the Spirit do the rest. We have been teaching an “investigator,” Luisa, who only speaks Spanish. Our first meeting was str8 up TERRIBLE. No idea what we should say, barely understanding her…10 minutes into it, she said she had work and had to go. They are normally supposed to be a half-hour long. SO HUMILIATING! But very, very humbling. Our second lesson went way better. We were prepared and had a better grasp on what we wanted to share with her. (We are using a lot of Spanglish haha…..it’s hilarious.)

So we taught Luisa again today. Honestly, it was one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me. We wanted to teach her about prayer and nuestro Padre Celestial. I prepared what I wanted to say and learned how to say it. My companion did too but didn’t learn it en espanol. Esta bien. So I had prayed for the Spirit, that I would remember all that I had learned, and that I would be able to teach with the Spirit So I’m in there and talking with Luisa, understanding what she is saying and knowing what I needed to say. We taught her that we are all hijos de Dios (children of God) and that we are all hermanos (brothers). I memorized “El Proposito,” which is our purpose (from PMG: Preach My Gospel). I did that in Spanish and English. So I asked Luisa why she escuchas (listens) to us. I told her our purpose as missionaries and that she is very important to us because she is one of God’s children. We care about her. Then we gave a little background on La Restauracion (the Restoration). We shared / had her read the story of Lamoni being converted. We asked if it was similar to her, then bore our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and the love of God. THEN we got her to commit to reading the first three verses of the Book of Mormon in 1 Nephi – to leave her wanting to know more. THEN we got her / taught her to pray. She said the closing prayer. Although it’s a role-play, it’s still cool and freakin’ enfermo (sick)! Then when we gave her a Book of Mormon, she was asking about all the pictures. So we answered as best as we could, made an appointment por manana, and left. And everything we said to her was in Spanish! I know my prayers were answered. I was speaking and understanding Spanish and it was LA BOMBA. There is no way I could’ve taught like that if it wasn’t for the Spirit. I felt so amazing after the lesson. I was just stoked out of my mind! I am so grateful that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers. I know I was blessed for having the desire to teach Luisa and learn Spanish so that I could do that. This isn’t for me. I am here to serve the Lord and His children. Everything that happened in that meeting was due to the Spirit. It was so, so incredible. Also, Luisa committed to praying for an answer if the things we said were true. So amazing.

It is hard here, but I honestly love it. My district is awesome, and my zone is the best! I’ve made friends with tons of other Elders and Hermanas. Our ZLs are some of the coolest guys and helped me to feel comfortable and welcome. It’s odd that I’m older than them haha! Also, haven’t been told to cut my hair and everyone loves it! So classic. Pics to come.

I love you all so insanely much. I think about you and pray for you. Yo se que las familias son eternas. Peace and Blessings.


Elder Sipple

No comments:

Post a Comment